Cranberry Orange Relish with Mint


With one of the biggest food holidays right around the corner (literally, it's tomorrow) I decided to break out a recipe I've had my eye on for over a month.

I absolutely adore Bon Appétit magazine, so when November's issue came to my door complete with lavish holiday recipes, I could hardly contain my excitement. Upon seeing the gorgeous photos of the cranberry-orange relish with mint I immediately flagged the page and made a mental note to keep that recipe in mind for Thanksgiving.

So here we are...


Cranberries! Not to be confused with The Cranberries -- that rad '90s band.

Craisins are about the closest I've ever come to cooking with real cranberries. Sad, I know, but hopefully this recipe will make up for my deliberate avoidance of the tart little berries. 

Want to know something neat? This recipe, although it takes more time than I anticipated, requires no actual cooking. All ingredients are chopped, minced, sliced, diced, and combined all without heating up the stove. Also, this fresh relish can be added to just about any Thanksgiving dish--mashed potatoes, stuffing, salads, roasted vegetables--you name it.


For this recipe, you will need (taken from the bonappetit.com):

-2 12-ounce bags of fresh (or frozen, thawed) cranberries
-4 navel oranges
-2 teaspoons orange zest
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 cup minced red onion
-1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
-1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger

Instructions: 

Pulse two 12-ounce bags fresh (or frozen, thawed) cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Finely grate 2 teaspoons orange zest from 1 of 4 navel oranges; set aside. Using a sharp paring knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges. Working over a medium bowl, cut between membranes to release orange segments. Coarsely chop segments; add to cranberries. Stir 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup minced red onion, 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger, and reserved zest into cranberry mixture. Cover; let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Feast your hearts out, loves.




No comments:

Post a Comment