Apple and Brie Sandwich with Caramelized Onion






Let's talk lunch. I am a big fan of lunch. Mainly because I get to tear myself away from my desk (even if it is just to walk to the kitchen and back) and focus on my one, true love: food. Lately though, I've been a little too obsessed with this one particular sandwich place near my building called Hannah's Bretzel. The sandwiches there rock my world. Not only do they use healthy and delicious ingredients, but almost everything there is organic and much of it comes from local farms. Neat! If you live in Chicago and have not been to this restaurant, I strongly urge you to go there next time you are craving a sandwich. I promise you'll dig it.



The sandwich in this photo is my own personal take on my favorite sandwich at Hannah's Bretzel. I started the sandwich by spreading some fig butter on a fresh whole grain baguette. I then layered the bread with thin apple slices, English cucumbers, slices of brie, caramelized onions, and arugula. The sweetness from the fig butter, apple, and onions mixes with the peppery arugula and cool cucumber to make a ridiculously satisfying sandwich. Now that I think of it, avocado would have been a nice addition to this creation. Maybe next time!

In all seriousness (or as serious as we can get about lunch) this sandwich completely satiated my appetite, and kept me pleasantly filled all afternoon. I've listed the ingredients below if you are interested!

On a side note, I will be taking a little blogging hiatus for a few weeks while I travel to St. Lucia to work with the Good News Project, Inc. (Check them out on Facebook too!) Not to worry though, you will get the chance to hear about some of my adventures when I return.

Thanks for reading, loves :)




Ingredients:

-whole grain baguette
-1/2 onion, caramelized
-brie
-1/2 red apple, sliced thinly
-1 handful of arugula
-1 English cucumber, sliced thinly
-fig butter (I have found fig butter at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and gourmet food stores)

No comments:

Post a Comment