Grapefruit Morning

Breathe in. Breathe out. Ahhhhhhh...it's Friday morning and I have the day off of work. I slept in, practiced some yoga, and prepared broiled grapefruit for breakfast.

Did you know that the grapefruit is actually a hybrid fruit? According to On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen, the grapefruit "originated as a hybrid of the sweet orange and pummelo in the Caribbean in the 18th century" (McGee 376). I had no idea! Maybe it's just me, but I've always frowned upon "hybrid" fruits (like the grapple--looks like an apple, tastes like a grape) because they seem so unnatural. As it turns out, lots of fruits were once hybrids. Maybe I will have to give the grapple another try...but not today.

In college, my roommates and I used to steal grapefruits from the cafeteria. We would carefully peel the membrane from each segment and eat them as a snack just plain. Some people do not like the bitter taste of grapefruits, and I'll admit, the flavor does take some getting used to. I happen to love grapefruits, but had never broiled one before until this morning.

I am going to throw out a word of caution about grapefruits...they are packed full of vitamin C and antioxidants, but if you pile mounds of sugar on top of them, the citrus fruit ceases to be healthy. If you find the fruit too bitter for your tasting, add tiny bits of agave nectar or honey to curb the bite.

To make broiled grapefruit, set the oven to broil. Then cut a grapefruit horizontally and use a knife to slice around each segment. Slicing the fruit before cooking will make eating it all that much easier. Then sprinkle 1/4 of a teaspoon of nutmeg, and about a 1 teaspoon of minced ginger onto the grapefruit halves. Broil for 5-8 minutes and enjoy. :) Adding cinnamon, honey, agave nectar, or a dollop of plain Greek yogurt would be delicious as well. 

I don't know if this citation is necessary, but the English major inside of me couldn't wait to write it:

McGee, Harold. On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. New York: Scribner, 2004. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment