Edamame Dumplings


Guess what? Spring is on its way! (I literally smiled when I typed out that sentence.)

Birds are chirping in the mornings, the sun stays in the sky a tiny bit longer each afternoon, and that large mound of snow by the bus stop has melted down to a small mass of blackened ice and cinders.

March is always an exciting time of year -- new projects, new plans, new wardrobe, and let's not forget about those lovely tax returns. Soon everything will be budding and green and sunny and happy. Okay, maybe those are just my high hopes, but I certainly have a good feeling about this year. I can hardly wait until I don't have to wear socks or tights anymore.





In order to urge spring to move a little faster, I made a fresh dish of edamame dumplings from my favorite Sprouted Kitchen cookbook (by the way, if you don't have this book, you need buy it immediately). These dumplings require a good amount of prep time, but they are absolutely delicious and taste healthy and fresh. Plus, who doesn't love dumplings and soy sauce??




Ingredient List (makes 4 servings)

Wontons:
-4 green onions, coarsely chopped
-2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
-1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
-2 cups shelled edamame, cooked and drained (I couldn't find fresh, so I used frozen)
-2 tablespoons sour cream
-dash of hot sauce (I opted out on the hot sauce. Just wasn't feelin' it at the time)
-40 round wonton wrappers

Broth:
-4 cups low-sodium veggie broth
-1 lemongrass stalk
-2 tablespoons mirin
-2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
-toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
-microgreens or pea shoots, for garnish (I used microgreens)

Combine the wonton ingredients--minus the wonton wrappers!--in a food processor until they are pureed. Set out half of the wonton wrappers and place about a tablespoonful of the filling in the middle of each wrapper. Dip your finger in water and wipe around the edge of one wrapper. Place a wonton wrapper on top and press each side down to seal the wrappers to each other. Continue this step until each wrapper has been filled and pressed.

For the broth, warm the veggie broth over medium-low heat. Using the back of a heavy knife, pound the lemongrass stalk and discard the tough outer layer. Mince the inner, pale portion of the bottom of the stalk and add it to the broth with the mirin and soy sauce. Allow the flavors to combine for about ten minutes. Then, add about one cup of the broth to a large saucepan and add a single layer of wontons. Cover the saucepan and allow the wontons to steam for about two minutes. Repeat this step until all of your wontons have been steamed. Add more broth if needed.

Finally, divide the wontons among four bowls and pour the remaining broth on top of each. Garnish each dish with toasted sesame seeds and microgreens.

This recipe is so comforting, except it's much healthier than typical comfort food (I'm thinking of macaroni and cheese...mmmmm...) and I still felt great after I ate it. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment